How art and sustainability can come together?
hemispheres strives to be a platform where messages for humanity are heard and put into action. By joining forces with artists and partners we aim at achieving a leverage which creates an impetus for crossing cultural and disciplinary borders to translate messages of sustainability into action.
Why we believe in the importance of culture
From a culture viewpoint, the SDGs can be accessed via 6 main stepping stones – freedom of speech, human rights, empowerment, traditional knowledge, job opportunities and biodiversity – which link to the 17 goals. In our context - the context of hemispheres – goals 17 GLOBAL PARTNERSHIP FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT is the underlying base: partnerships (through cooperations, financing, exchanges etc.) as enablers.
01. END POVERTY: Cultural expressions, services, goods and heritage sites can contribute to sustainable economic development
02. END HUNGER: Traditional knowledge related to the preservation of existing genetic resources, including the genetic diversity of seeds, should be recognized and maintained
03. ENSURE HEALTHY LIVES AND PROMOTE WELL-BEING FOR ALL: Integrating traditional health systems and practitioners and participation in cultural life can contribute to improved health and well-being.
04. ENSURE INCLUSIVE AND EQUITABLE QUALITY EDUCATION FOR ALL: Educational programmes at all levels need to integrate contents related to cultural diversity, arts education, languages, and the role of cultural aspects in sustainable development.
05. ACHIEVE GENDER EQUALITY AND EMPOWER ALL WOMEN AND GIRLS: strengthen opportunities for women and girls to take active part in cultural life and lead their own cultural projects and organisations. Narratives that address gender discrimination or which show the important role of women and girls in cultural life are needed.
06. ENSURE AVAILABILITY AND SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT OF WATER AND SANITATION FOR ALL: Elements in traditional practices can provide lessons towards fostering an appropriate, sustainable use of water-related ecosystems.
07. ENSURE ACCESS TO AFFORDABLE, RELIABLE, SUSTAINABLE AND MODERN ENERGY FOR ALL: Creative actors can be involved in the design of educational and awareness-raising activities on energy production and consumption.
08. PROMOTE SUSTAINED, INCLUSIVE AND SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC GROWTH, FULL AND PRODUCTIVE EMPLOYMENT AND DECENT WORK FOR ALL: Enforce the cultural potential for inclusive, sustainable and fair employment.
09. BUILD RESILIENT INFRASTRUCTURE, PROMOTE INCLUSIVE AND SUSTAINABLE INDUSTRIALIZATION AND FOSTER INNOVATION: Involve Artists and creative professionals in innovation, research, development in a wide range of industrial areas. Promote cultural infrastructures for access to participate in cultural life.
10. REDUCE INEQUALITY WITHIN AND AMONG COUNTRIES: All approaches to migration should include a cultural dimension and intercultural dialogue. Cultural participation and narratives can contribute to empowering and promoting the inclusion of all people.
11. MAKE CITIES AND HUMAN SETTLEMENTS INCLUSIVE, SAFE, RESILIENT AND SUSTAINABLE: Foster the recognition of traditional construction techniques, related knowledge and materials and enhance the development of cultural activities.
12. ENSURE SUSTAINABLE CONSUMPTION AND PRODUCTION PATTERNS: Local, traditional products that are suited to sustainable consumption and production need to be recognized and appreciated.
13. TAKE URGENT ACTION TO COMBAT CLIMATE CHANGE AND ITS IMPACTS: Links between cultural activities, traditional knowledge, and environmentally-sustainable practices, which should be explored and fostered. Artists for awareness raising activities on climate change.
14. CONSERVE AND SUSTAINABLY USE THE OCEANS, SEAS AND MARINE RESOURCES: Reinforce Cultural traditions to the sustainable preservation of marine and coastal ecosystems.
15. PROTECT, RESTORE AND PROMOTE SUSTAINABLE USE OF TERRESTRIAL ECOSYSTEMS, SUSTAINABLY MANAGE FORESTS, COMBAT DESERTIFICATION, AND HALT AND REVERSE LAND DEGRADATION AND HALT BIODIVERSITY LOSS: Integrate traditional practices of ecosystem management related to the preservation of terrestrial ecosystems in the design, implementation and evaluation of policies and programmes.
16. PROMOTE PEACEFUL AND INCLUSIVE SOCIETIES FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, PROVIDE ACCESS TO JUSTICE FOR ALL AND BUILD EFFECTIVE, ACCOUNTABLE AND INCLUSIVE INSTITUTIONS AT ALL LEVELS: Include cultural components in strategies for the alleviation of violence and the promotion of peace. Enable the participation of citizen in the design, implementation and evaluation of cultural policies and programmes. Create cultural facilities, including libraries and knowledge centres to foster access to information.
17. STRENGTHEN THE MEANS OF IMPLEMENTATION AND REVITALIZE THE GLOBAL PARTNERSHIP FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT: Integrate a strategic cultural dimension in international, national and local strategies for sustainable development. Strenghten the capacities of cultural stakeholders.